This illusion that it’s all about giving to others is bullshit.
Think this through.
- we refuse to not do it because we are worried what others would say, react, feel about us
- we insist on doing it because we are thinking of our own needs, I mean like to not do it we would be alone on Christmas, yes indeed, self centered
- we insist on doing it every year because it makes us feel good, again, self centered
- we think about what we will get for presents
- we waste money on people we know who do not need the stuff to make ourselves feel better while we ignore those who live on the streets as we don’t feel good dealing with such crap and it doesn’t make us feel good to give to those who can’t give back who we will never see again nor are our friends who will keep saying how much fun they had at our Christmas gathering, again self centered
- when we give to the homeless or needy and hungry we do it for ourselves because we feel better
Doesn’t make it wrong, just clarifying that it’s self centered.